If you’re considering getting a used SUV for your next car, you’re a completely normal American. After all, SUVs offer a great combination of style and practicality that’s hard to beat. Their chunkier, more rugged design gives them more street cred than your typical family hatchback, multipurpose vehicle, or estate car. What’s more, the higher ride height makes it easier to get in and out of and gives you and your passengers a better view of the road.
With sales eclipsing those of conventional saloon cars, the sweeping popularity of these family-friendly vehicles has created an industry segment that’s almost oversaturated with representatives from a vast range of automakers. And because people are always looking for the newest and most up-to-date versions, many late-model, low-mileage used SUVs are available at highly competitive prices.
That’s especially true when shopping the pre-owned inventory at Cochran Buick GMC Youngstown. We continually enhance and update our selection to ensure our customers have access to a large and diverse array of second-hand SUVs. You’ll find everything here, from the affordable Nissan Kicks to the luxurious Mercedes GLC and the capable Jeep Grand Cherokee. So, regardless of your needs, you’re sure to find something that fits the bill.
Why Buy a Used SUV?
The new-car smell can be quite alluring, but the reality is that buying a used SUV has several attractive perks. Not only will you save on the initial purchase price and monthly costs, but you’ll also benefit from the following:
- Lower vehicle depreciation: New cars typically depreciate by about 20% when you drive them off the lot and an additional 10% in value during the first year. A used vehicle depreciates much slower, meaning you’ll have a more stable loan-to-value ratio.
- Lower insurance rates: Used cars are much cheaper to insure than their new counterparts. This is because the vehicle depreciates more quickly when it’s new, and insurance companies take this into account. Used SUVs are cheaper to insure because the vehicle has already depreciated and is no longer subject to the same high insurance premiums.
- More variety: When buying a brand-new SUV, you’ll have to choose from a finite number of trim levels and model options. However, if you opt for a pre-owned SUV, you can browse the different years of the model you prefer. You may even get a trim level or model that’s no longer in production.
- Certified pre-owned (CPO) programs: If you still need convincing that a pre-owned SUV is the right choice, consider purchasing one through a CPO program. In essence, CPO cars are vehicles that meet a manufacturer’s established standards and carry some form of guarantee against defects, similar to a new-car warranty. Many CPO programs also include multipoint inspections that check for various issues, so you can be sure the car is mechanically sound.
Tips for Buying a Used SUV
If you’re shopping for an affordable used SUV, the process can seem overwhelming with so many variables at play. However, using these tips to streamline your search can help you find a reliable vehicle that’s right for you:
- Figure out what you want: Before you settle on a make and model, take some time to narrow down the body style (sedan, SUV, pickup, etc.) that fits your budget. This will allow you to compare similar cars and make an informed decision.
- Research the vehicle’s history: Knowing a car’s past is essential to the buying process. Check for any red flags, such as accidents, recalls, and major repairs, that could affect the car’s value and reliability.
- Determine a fair purchase price: Use online tools such as Kelley Blue Book and the National Automobile Dealers Association to compare prices for the same make, model, and year across different sources to ensure you’re not overcharged.
- Beware of odometer fraud: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that over 450,000 cars with tampered odometer readings are sold annually. Exercise caution if the SUV you’re considering is more than 5 years old yet shows a suspiciously low mileage. The best way to avoid odometer fraud is to buy used SUVs from certified car dealerships instead of private sellers.
- Test-drive and visually inspect the car: Before you sign a purchase agreement, you should take the car out for a spin. This will give you an idea of how it handles and allow you to check for any visual issues such as scratches, dents, undercarriage damage, and interior wear. Pay attention to features such as the trunk and cup holders for any potential annoyances that could affect day-to-day use.
How To Get Financing for Used SUVs
At Cochran Buick GMC Youngstown here in Ohio, we understand the pressing need for financial balance in today’s world. That’s why we go above and beyond to provide our customers with the best financing plans and support. Getting started is easy; simply choose from any of the following options:
- Call or email us: Our knowledgeable sales staff is ready to answer your questions, give you advice on selecting the right vehicle, and arrange a test drive.
- Fill out our secure finance application form online: Complete our secure online finance application form to get pre-approved for financing.
- Visit our showroom: Our Youngstown dealership is conveniently located, with plenty of parking and a wide selection of vehicles.
- Make an appointment with one of our financial specialists: Our financial specialists will help to answer any questions you may have and work to get you the best financing for your purchase.
No matter your credit score or experience managing finances, we’re here to help you find the perfect used SUV to fit your lifestyle and budget. So, don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss your options and take a closer look at the different SUVs we have in stock.
Why Buy a Used SUV From Cochran Buick GMC?
At Cochran Buick GMC Youngstown, we take immense pride in our commitment to customer satisfaction. No matter your needs, we strive to provide you with a hassle-free and affordable car-buying experience. Our experienced sales staff is knowledgeable and friendly and will take the time to listen to your needs before recommending a used SUV that suits you.
We also carry an extensive selection of new and used SUVs in mint condition. Our used SUVs are thoroughly inspected, detailed, and serviced to ensure they meet the highest standards. When you shop at Cochran Buick GMC Youngstown, you can rest assured that you’re getting the best deal for your money.